New Hamburg, Missouri
This building was built in 1910 in New Hamburg, Scott Co. Missouri. The first Stike Hall was destroyed by fire in 1909. According to a newspaper article dated October 22, 1909 at about 3 o'clock Sunday morning, our people were suddenly aroused from their slumber by the cries of "fire" and ringing of bells. When they rushed to the streets they found the residence Mrs. Mary T. Gerst, John Stike's saloon and the adjoining Westrich building on fire. The fire had already made considerable headway. The flames leaped through the roofs, frenzy like, fanned by a brisk easterly wind. In but a few minutes, the flames spread to the adjoining building just completed by John Linhart and to Louis Riegert's residence and restaurant across the street. Though the townspeople and many farmers from a distance responded with commendable promptness little else could be done to prevent the fire from spreading further. Louis Riegert's household goods and a little of his restaurant stock were saved. Owing to the progress the fire had made when discovered, nothing could be taken from the other buildings. Louis Riegert's premises (the old Anna M. Heuring homestead) was litterly swept by the flames. Not a vestige of a building remains except a hen house in a far corner.
A January 6, 1910 article in a newspaper stated that John A. Stike, the poplar saloon man of New Hamburg, Missouri, lost his tavern, stock and fixtures, as well as contents of his dwelling to a conflagration recently, but he has announced that he will replace his burned building with a fine brick building.
John A. Stike, one of the prominent businessmen of New Hamburg, Missouri, is in Cape Girardeau. He is preparing for a grand opening of his new building, which contains his buffet & a big hall. A dance will be the principal feature of the opening, with the Capaha Orchestra providing the music. (May 9, 2010 article in newspaper)
The grand opening was held May 16, 1910.
At Stike's Hall
New Hamburg, Missouri
Monday, May 22, 1922
Peg Meyer's Orchestra
of Cape Girardeau
will furnish music
After John Stike's death, the building was sold to Clyde Dennis and Winfred (Bill) Dennis in 1946.
Clyde C. Dennis & Eula Dennis, his wife to Winfred (Bill) Dennis in 1946 and Bill Dennis sold to J. C. Dennis in 1947. John Dennis owned and operated the business from May 1946 until December 1952. Dances were held upstairs to a live band, "The Cookie Dusters", Robert Redfern and his brothers. Onie Wheeler also played for the dances and several other bands. John Dennis was sheriff of Scott County for 24 years from 1952-1976. He served as Senator for four terms (1976-1992). He sold the building to Albert Glastetter. The building was sold to Charles Mitchell of Sikston, Missouri in 1972. Several families ran a business in the building. Mr. Herbert Dirnberger purchased the building in the early 1980's. He has restored the building and plans on restoring the second floor in the future.
Pictures of the Christmas Party
December 6, 2015
|Margie Jackson, Vice-President visiting with Tim Legrand|
|Dr. Bill Shell, Program Chairman & Wife, Pat|
|Cindy Dirnberger, Herbie Dirnberger, Georgia Dannenmueller & Henry Joe Dirnberger|
|Bob & Mary Todt|
|Members & guest enjoying snacks provided by members of the Historical Society|
|Guests & members listening to Margaret Heuring presenting program on history of building.|
|Vicki LeGrand, Christy LeGrand, & Tim LeGrand|
|Keith Dirnberger, Herbie Dirnberger & Henrietta Dirnberger|
|Jim & Lynn Dennis (Jim is son of Bill Dennis)|
|Judy & Tom Murrah (Judy is daughter of Cecil Dennis, brother to Bill & John Dennis)|
|Tim & Christy Legrand, Vicki LeGrand, Bernice Kern, Margaret Stricker & Bertie Robert listing to Margaret Heuring presenting a program on history of building.|
|Margaret Stricker, Paulette Hamm & Bertie Robert|
|Mary Todt, Mary Beth Todt & Kathryn Todt|
|Lois Spalding visiting with Judy & Tom Murrah and Jim & Lynn Dennis|
|Lois Spalding giving some history of the building-Susan Bailey, President on right|
|Henrietta Dirnberger & Earline Lowes|
|Lynn &Jim Dennis|
|Bernice Kern & Mildred LeGrand|
|Jim Dennis (Dad, Bill Dennis) giving some history of the building. Listening to Jim are Judy & Tom Murrah, Lynn Dennis & Bob Todt|
|Vicki LeGrand, Bernice Kern & Dorothy Lampe|
|President Susan Bailey welcoming members & guests-Bernice Kern, Vickie LeGrand, Christy LeGrand, on right-Margaret Stricker, Bertie Robert, Coonie Essner & Paulette Hamm|
|Margaret Heuring presented Herbie Dirnberrger a book with some |
history of the building.
|Glenda Milam, Membership Chairman, Herbie Dirnberger & Kenny Dirnberger|